Sunday, October 28, 2012

Back to the kitchen (for doors)

Hurricane Sandy has forced me indoors for the weekend, so work has restarted in the kitchen.  The goal for today was to measure and order all the cabinet doors and drawer fronts.  I was very nervous about this next step because it's an expensive step and measuring. . . lets say it's not my strongest skill.

 We planned to order our cabinet doors from Barker Door (http://www.barkerdoor.com/).  I like this company because they have lots positive reviews online, very good prices (custom doors are super pricey), and quick turn around. Plus, enough design and materials options (I only need to find one I like, I don't need a million options). They have very few finish options, but I'm just going to paint them myself so that didn't matter to me.  It would have been $35/door for a painted white factory finish, which would have doubled the cost of the doors.

They have a lot of information on their website about how to measure and how to install. I watched all the videos and read all of their text before beginning my measuring.


I marked every door and drawer with a sticky note and a number +/- a letter.  This helped me be sure I ordered one door for every cabinet (with no duplicates). When the doors arrive, the sticky notes will make it easier to match door to cabinet.


Then it was just a matter of measure, measure, measure.  Followed by remeasure x3.  It was stressful.  One of the things that decreased my stress was knowing that the style of hinge we chose is highly adjustable.  So as long as the door is pretty close, I'm good.  Having the door overlap the cabinet face is also good, because a slightly too large door isn't going to matter.  The whole thing is just more flexible than I previously expected.  But I still kept everything in a giant spreadsheet to check/double check/triple check.


So, everything has been ordered!  I got all the hinges from Barker Doors, too, so all the doors will be predrilled and should fit the hinges perfectly.  Step two: wait on pins and needles for them to arrive. Step three: ??? Step 4: profit!


1 comment:

  1. Oh I would love to see how this remodel turned out. We are thinking of doing the same thing. WOuld love to see images!

    ReplyDelete