Saturday, August 6, 2011

Kitchen Dreams. Part 1a: Desires!

I'm excited to start thinking about the kitchen! I'm making a list of all the things I've loved in other peoples' kitchens. (Later, i will start thinking about how to do everything cheaply)

An Island
I love a good island. If you do it right, people can sit or congregate there and it increases the usable counter space exponentially. Not to mention increasing the storage space with cabinets under the island. Second-best would be a peninsula with seating. The foreclosure house probably doesn't have room for an island, but it would be perfect for a peninsula.

Breakfast nook/Eat-In Space
One of the things I love about the foreclosure house is the area in the kitchen where a table would go. That area has floor-to ceiling windows and it's a bowed shape, which is really charming. We will have to see what we end up doing with that space. This is how that space is shaped:
I think a pedestal table like this would work beautifully there. Maybe my M-I-L can help me shop for a nice antique one to go with the antiques I already have:Wet Bar/Beverage Center
This is kind of a luxury, but it's so cool and flashy. I totally want one :) Makes a kitchen look rich. If we want a true wet bar, we will probably have to have a little more plumbing run to the sink, but the potential wet bar area is in between a powder room and the rest of the kitchen, so that shouldn't be too pricey. It could be similar to this (but a little bit narrower):Solid Surface Counter
Granite is obviously awe$ome, but Quartz, or even Corian would also be fine. I love those counters that are made from recycled glass, but I think they are too taste-specific, since we probably do need to sell this house eventually.

Recycled Glass Counter (comes in 900 colors, glass mixed with concrete):
Corian (basically upgraded plastic) Countertop:
Quartz (basically man-made "stone") Countertop:
Cabinets to the Ceiling, Crown Moulding
Tons of houses in this area have a soffit on top of the cabinets. I hate those things, such a waste of space. Sometimes there are things in there. Usually they are just empty space. Wasteful! Rip 'em out! Cabinets for miles!
Blogger is stressing out about all these pictures, so I will stop for now. Next time: more discussion about the kitchen! :D

What things do you love in a kitchen? What things have you done in your remodel and loved? Any regrets? Any friendly advice about planning, or helpful books/websites/programs you have used?

No comments:

Post a Comment